We teach our children many things: skills to calm down, to obey and follow instructions, to be kind and share… one thing that isn’t talked about much in the parenting world is self-control. It is perhaps one of the most crucial things we can teach our children! How can we expect them to listen to us, or to calm down, or share a toy they don’t want to share without self control?
“But teaching self-control to our children is of the utmost importance because it is what On Becoming Preschoolwise calls a base virtue. That is, it is the foundation upon which most other virtues are built. Patience, for example, cannot exist without a honed capacity for self-control because human nature is to desire instant gratification. One cannot show unrelenting goodness, invariable morality, or consistently respectful speech without possessing dominion over their emotions and impulses. Even when looking at things like factors of learning, good students require the self-control to sit still and listen. The wisest decisions often necessitate the self-control to pause, delay judgement, and avoid rash actions.
On the flip side, at the root of every disobedience or disrespect is a lack of self-control. When a child chooses to deliberately disobey an instruction, it is because their impulse to do whatever it is that they want to do is stronger than their ability to control that impulse and do what’s right. When a parent gets angry and screams at their children, it is because they lack the self-control to contain their emotions in a heated moment. ”
Check out the rest of the posts by the mamas of the BFBN. We are all blogging about principles of the Babywise series that don’t include sleep or scheduling. Lots of great content, so be sure to read them all! All links will go live day of.
- Monday – How to Correct Your Preteen – Valerie – Chronicles of a Babywise Mom
- Monday – How to Solve the Wise in His Own Eyes Problem -Natasha – Let’s Be Brave
- Tuesday – Intentional Parenting: How Our Beliefs and Goals Shape Our Parenting Decisions – Kimberly – Team Cartwright
- Tuesday –5 Ways to Teach Children Kindness – Caitlin – Rogers Party of 5
- Wednesday – How To Give Instructions to Your Toddler & Achieve Successful Results –Katrina – Mama’s Organized Chaos
- Thursday – Self-Control is a Base Virtue – Cole – Twinning Babywise
- Thursday – Temper Tantrums & the Happy Heart Rug -Carrie – Wiley Adventures
- Friday – How to Teach Your Child Self-Control -Emily – The Journey of Parenthood
How much did you enjoy this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: