As parents, we want our children to become independent, and make good choices on their own. However, we sometimes rush this idea and give our children freedom to make decisions they don’t have the maturity to make. In turn, they can become ‘wise in their own eyes’ or too big for their britches, or a know it all. Does anyone have experience with a child who is like this? If you do, you MUST head over to Natasha’s blog, Let’s Be Brave. to read her thoughts and solutions.
“In chapter 4 of On Becoming Preschool Wise, Ezzo and Bucknam warn “against creating the false impression in the mind of a child that she is able to do anything, say anything, and go anywhere without parents guidance or approval.” Such a child “is a child who has been granted too many freedoms of self-governance too early.” When children are given too many choices or given too much freedom to make decisions, it can lead to a problem referred to as wise in their own eyes. “Children who are wise in their own eyes will tend to go places they should not go and say things they should not say.”
The three most common ways children become wise in their own eyes during the preschool years are: (1) parents grant too many decision-making freedoms; (2) parents grant too many physical freedoms; and (3) parents grant too many verbal freedoms.”
Read the full post over at Let’s Be Brave.
Check out the rest of the posts by the mamas of the BFBN. We are all blogging about principles of the Babywise series that don’t include sleep or scheduling. Lots of great content, so be sure to read them all! All links will go live day of.
- Monday – How to Correct Your Preteen – Valerie – Chronicles of a Babywise Mom
- Monday – How to Solve the Wise in His Own Eyes Problem -Natasha – Let’s Be Brave
- Tuesday – Intentional Parenting: How Our Beliefs and Goals Shape Our Parenting Decisions – Kimberly – Team Cartwright
- Tuesday –5 Ways to Teach Children Kindness – Caitlin – Rogers Party of 5
- Wednesday – How To Give Instructions to Your Toddler & Achieve Successful Results –Katrina – Mama’s Organized Chaos
- Thursday – Self-Control is a Base Virtue – Cole – Twinning Babywise
- Thursday – Temper Tantrums & the Happy Heart Rug -Carrie – Wiley Adventures
- Friday – How to Teach Your Child Self-Control -Emily – The Journey of Parenthood